Google Software Engineering/Site Reliability Engineering Intern 2018 in Stockholm, Sweden
Applications are currently closed for this role. Applications for 2019 internship opportunities will open in September 2018.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Zürich, Switzerland; Paris, France; Aarhus, Denmark; Stockholm, Sweden; Warsaw, Poland; Munich, Germany
Interns at Google bring questions and build answers. We offer a range of internships across EMEA and durations and start dates vary according to project and location. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and our recruitment team will determine where you fit best based on your resume.
Internships are offered in the following areas:
Google's Software Engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a Software Engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs, with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you, and our fast-paced business, grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, to display leadership qualities and to be enthusiastic in taking on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. As a key member of a versatile team, you design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE):
Google’s Site Reliability Engineers apply software engineering skills in their mission to progress, protect, and provide for the software and systems behind all of Google’s public services - Search, Ads, Gmail, Android, YouTube and App Engine, to name just a few - with an ever-watchful eye on their availability, latency, performance and capacity. At Google, we have developed many unique systems ranging from planet-spanning databases, to near real-time scalable data warehousing, to fault-tolerant datastream joining. In SRE, we flip between the fine-grained detail of disk driver I/O scheduling to the big picture of continental-level service capacity, across a range of systems and a user population measured in billions. As a Site Reliability Engineering Intern, you will work on software development projects to keep important, revenue-critical systems up and running. Our engineers create, fix, extend and scale the code to keep it working and to harden it against all the vagaries of the internet. We drive reliability and performance across massive scale by mastering the full depth of the stack. We literally do learn something new every day - usually surprising things - that have the potential to transform the lives of billions of our users around the world.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google's product offering.
- Contribute to a wide variety of projects utilizing natural language processing, artificial intelligence, data compression, machine learning and search technologies.
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information.
- Utilize exposure to large-scale production software troubleshooting and help maintain mission critical services.
- Assist in ongoing capacity planning.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelor's or Master’s in Computer Science or a related technical field. Returning to education on a full-time basis upon completing the internship.
- Completed projects (inside or outside of school) or classes focused on Data Structures and Algorithms, resulting in experience with selecting and implementing algorithms and using appropriate data structures to efficiently solve a problem; experience in interpreting algorithms and contributing ideas to their development.
- Experience writing code fixes and tools to solve problems (e.g. remove duplicate elements from a list) in one or more of the following languages: C++, Java or Python.
- Experience with linear coding and use language features when necessary (e.g. data structures, branching, function-calls and conditionals).
- Technology internship experience or work experience (i.e. research assistant, teaching assistant, personal projects, etc) programming in two or more of the following languages: C++, Java or Python.
- Interest in systems software or algorithms and in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of UNIX/Linux or Windows environments, as well as APIs. Demonstrated familiarity with TCP/IP and network programming.
- Ability to develop thorough testing solutions across testing layers (e.g. unit, functional, integration, stress testing) for your code, using at least one of the following languages: C++, Java or Python.
- Ability to manipulate code to improve system availability and latency and to optimize code for stability, functionality and scalability for a segment of Google's infrastructure, service area, or within a technology domain (e.g. crawling, search, troubleshooting).
- Ability to isolate problems to a database subsystem.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.